Social Security Disability (SSD) benefits are supposed to provide financial aid if you are hurt or sick and cannot work for a long time. Unfortunately, the Social Security Administration (SSA) has made it hard for people with valid claims to get approved.
The government denies more than half of all claims for disability benefits. Rejected claimants face a complicated appeals process.
You need to protect yourself and your right to SSD income.The best way to do that is to get a legal advocate to look out for you. An experienced lawyer like those at the Ginarte law firm can give you the best chance of getting the SSD benefits you deserve.
Call us now or contact us online for a free claim review. We have seven offices located throughout the New York and New Jersey metro area to serve you.
5 Reasons Why You Need an Experienced SSD Lawyer in NY or NJ
Here are just a few of the many reasons why you need an attorney to help with your SSD benefits claim or appeal:
- A lawyer can help you determine which SSD benefits programs you qualify for. If you are disabled, you may be entitled to several kinds of benefits. Potential options include Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI), private disability insurance and workers’ compensation disability. A lawyer can evaluate your situation and ensure that you apply for the right programs to maximize your disability income.
- A lawyer can explain options for a speedy processing of your SSD claim, if available. For example, people with certain conditions who qualify for the SSA’s Compassionate Allowances could qualify for expedited processing of their claim. This may allow a claimant to get benefits within weeks instead of months. Wounded warriors and veterans with a total disability rating from the Veterans Administration may also qualify for expedited processing of SSD claims. You need someone who knows the system and who can help you explore all options for getting benefits as quickly as possible.
- A lawyer can assist you in submitting a strong initial application. The Social Security Administration needs to see specific medical records showing you have a qualifying condition and severe symptoms. An attorney can help you understand what you need to provide to the SSA to have the best chance of getting your claim approved with the first application. If you are asked to submit to an independent medical exam, your attorney can also help you understand what the SSA is looking for and how to prepare for your evaluation.
- A lawyer can help you to respond quickly if you need to appeal a denied SSD claim. Since so many benefits claims are denied, many applicants will need to appeal.There are four stages of appeal, including a request for reconsideration, a disability benefits hearing, an appeals board review of the hearing and a federal court appeal. You have a limited amount of time to file an appeal.There are also specific requirements at each stage. A lawyer who knows the system can guide you through the process and improve the odds of success.
- A lawyer can represent you at a hearing or in federal court. If your appeal progresses to a disability benefits hearing or to federal court, you can present witnesses and testimony. You will also need to make compelling legal arguments. The SSA will have lawyers and experts representing its interests. They will argue why you should not be entitled to benefits. You need a legal advocate who can put together a strong claim so you have the best chance of convincing an administrative law judge or a federal judge that you deserve SSD income.
Getting SSD benefits can be a bureaucratic nightmare. It is the last thing you need to deal with when you are sick or disabled by an injury.
Let Ginarte Gonzalez Winograd L.L.P., fight for your benefits so you can focus on your health. Call or contact us online today to learn more about how we can help with your SSD application or appeal.