You might not think of a sidewalk as a dangerous place. But each year more than 1 million Americans suffer a slip, trip or fall injury — and many of these occur on sidewalks. They happen in large cities and small towns, in quiet neighborhoods and busy metro centers, in city parks and shopping malls.
Victims of sidewalk accidents suffer broken legs, injured backs, sprained ankles, cuts and lacerations, concussions, traumatic brain injuries and other injuries. These injuries can lead to permanent disabilities or even death.
Have you or a member of your family slipped, tripped or fallen on a sidewalk or walkway? Did it happen because the surface was cracked, uneven, slippery or poorly maintained? If so, you might be entitled to financial compensation.
The New York City sidewalk accident lawyers at Ginarte Gallardo Gonzalez Winograd L.L.P., can help you get money to pay for your medical bills, lost income and even pain and suffering. For decades we have fought for accident victims in New York and New Jersey. Let us help you today. Call 1-888-GINARTE (1-888-446-2783) or use this online contact form to request a free case evaluation.
About Sidewalk Accidents in New York City
In general terms, property owners have a legal responsibility to keep the walkways that are located on their premises reasonably safe and free of hazards. But laws regarding sidewalk maintenance and liability differ from state to state. They can even differ from city to city within a state.
For this reason, if you are injured by tripping or falling on a sidewalk, it is important that you speak with a lawyer without delay. A qualified sidewalk accident and injury attorney will be able to explain what laws apply and what can be done if the laws were broken.
In New York City alone, there are miles and miles of sidewalks within the five boroughs of Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx and Staten Island. Every day these walkways are used by the people who live and work there, as well as by countless tourists, visitors and vacationers.
Following are some dangerous sidewalk conditions that can cause a slip, trip or fall:
- Faulty construction
- Uneven or unlevel slabs
- Defective patches or repairs
- Protruding pipes, cables or bolts
- Lifting caused by tree roots
- No warning signs
- Cracks and damage from tree roots
- Snow accumulation
- Ice accumulation
- Water accumulation and puddles
- Faulty materials or shoddy paving methods
- Excessive build-up of dirt or debris
- Violations of building or safety codes
- Holes and pitting in cement and concrete
- Improperly placed sidewalk vaults and cellar doors
- Other defects that can cause a person to slip, trip and fall.
Injuries from Sidewalk Slips and Falls
Sometimes when a person slips and falls on a sidewalk they get up, dust themselves off and continue on their way. Other times, they may not be able to get up at all.
Typical sidewalk injuries include fractures of the wrist, arm, ankle, hip or other bones. Hip fractures can be particularly devastating for older people.
Other common injuries:
- Connective tissue damage
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Herniated discs
- Knee damage
- Rotator cuff injuries
- Cuts and bruises.
The sidewalk slip and fall lawyers at the Ginarte law firm are currently reviewing injury claims resulting from falls on sidewalks in New York and New Jersey.
These accidents occur on:
- Commercial property — Businesses must take reasonable care of the premises to ensure the safety of customers and clients.
- Residential property — Private landowners can be held liable if they did not fulfill their duty to keep their walkways safe.
- Government property — Special rules often apply when an accident occurs on a sidewalk owned by a state, local or federal governmental entity.
Talk to a New York | New Jersey Sidewalk Injury Attorney
The Ginarte law firm believes that when a person is hurt by slipping, tripping or falling on a dangerous or defective sidewalk, all responsible parties should be held accountable.