The law holds commercial property owners to a very high standard in ensuring that their premises are usually safe for all entering. Commercial properties include: stores, parking garages and lots, stadiums, offices, apartment buildings, and many other places. Such owners may be liable for the injuries of an unsuspecting victim, especially when the property owner knew of the dangerous condition and did nothing to prevent the injury.
If you have been injured in a commercial property accident in the NY / NJ metro area, the experienced accident attorneys at Ginarte Gallardo Gonzalez Winograd L.L.P., can help you get the justice you deserve. With over 150 years of combined experience, our personal injury lawyers have protected the rights of countless accident victims in New York and New Jersey.
Call 1-888-GINARTE (1-888-446-2783) now, fill out our online contact form, or visit one of our seven nearby offices in Newark, New York City, Queens, Union City, Elizabeth, Clifton or Perth Amboy today. Remember, there is no charge to talk with our accident lawyers, and we collect fees only if you win your case!
What Is Premises Liability?
We all trust that commercial property owners will do their best to remove any harmful conditions present on their property that could harm a visitor. We also assume that the owner of a commercial property will take steps necessary to ensure the safety of visitors to the property. When a commercial property owner does not remove a potentially hazardous condition, or fails to take steps necessary to protect visitors while on the property, then the victim may have a claim for damages under premises liability law.
Premises liability is the area of the law that addresses injuries sustained by people while on the property of another person. Not only can the owner of a commercial property be held accountable, but someone in possession of the property, such as a business owner who is renting the property, may also potentially be liable for a victim’s injuries.
An injury that occurs on commercial property can take an infinite number of forms; however, there are some common scenarios that result in harm to a visitor, including:
- Slips and falls and trips and falls — A victim may slip and fall because of liquid in an aisle that has not been cleaned up, because snow or ice has not been cleared, or because of other hazards. Uneven floors, broken steps, and other problems could lead to a trip-and-fall accident.
- Inadequate security — A customer, or visitor, could be the victim of a third-party criminal act that would not have occurred had the property owner or renter provided adequate security.
- Assault — A victim could be assaulted while on the premises by an employee or a third party.
- Toxic substances — A victim could fall ill after being exposed to a toxic substance such as asbestos or lead paint.
- Fire or explosion — Lack of proper maintenance could lead to a fire or explosion that could injure anyone on the property.
- Lack of proper lighting — Sometimes lack of proper lighting leads to an assault or an injury accident.
- Defective railings or stairways — If the owner, or possessor of the property, does not properly maintain a railing or stairway, a customer could be injured in an ensuing fall.
- Elevators and escalators — A commercial property accident lawsuit could arise from an injury caused by a malfunctioning escalator or elevator.
- Unsecured merchandise — Merchandise that is stacked on high shelves may fall and injure an invitee if the merchandise is not properly stacked. Cluttered aisles could also lead to an accident.
Ginarte’s Commercial Property Accident Lawyers Can Help. Find Out How.
There is no charge to talk with our New York and New Jersey premises liability lawyers. We collect fees only if you win your case. Call 1-888-GINARTE (1-888-446-2783) now. You can also fill out our online contact form, or visit one of our seven nearby offices in Newark, New York City, Queens, Union City, Elizabeth, Clifton or Perth Amboy.