Car accidents happen every minute of every day across the country. Not surprisingly, there are a wide variety of factors that can contribute to a car accident. Likewise, there are an infinite number of scenarios in which a New York or New Jersey car accident can occur. There are, however, some common types of accidents, including:
- Rear-end collision — The most common type of car accident is a rear-end collision. Rear-end collisions account for approximately 2.5 million car accidents every year throughout the nation. Unless evidence is presented to rebut the presumption, the law presumes that the driver in the back of a rear-end collision was at fault in the accident.
- Head-on collision — Head-on collisions often occur when a driver crosses over the center line into oncoming traffic. Head-on collisions frequently result in some of the most serious car accident injuries because of the force of the two vehicles colliding.
- Side-impact collision — A side-impact collision frequently happens when a driver fails to stop at a red light or intersection. Often called a “T-bone” or “broadside” accident, these collisions can cause serious injuries.
- Roll-over accident — SUVs have historically been prone to roll-over accidents because of their higher center of gravity. Any vehicle though can roll over if a driver attempts a turn at a high rate of speed, swerves to avoid hitting something or over-corrects the vehicle. Collisions can also lead to rollovers.
- Side-swipe accident — This type of car accident happens most often in a parking lot or along a narrow side street; however a side swipe can occur anywhere.
- Multi-vehicle collision — Multi-vehicle or “chain-reaction” accidents are often some of the most devastating accidents because of the number of vehicles involved and the increased chance of a fatal impact. Multi-vehicle accidents that occur on a freeway when the vehicles are driving at high rates of speed can be particularly catastrophic.
- Fatal accident — In 2010, there were 1,200 fatalities as a result of New York car accidents. In the same year, 556 people lost their lives in New Jersey car accidents. A fatal car accident leaves family members and loved ones mourning the loss of a loved one. It can also leave them with financial problems if the deceased was a family breadwinner.
A victim of any type of car accident may be entitled to compensation for injuries sustained in the accident if another party was at fault. In the event of a fatal car accident, the surviving family members may also be entitled to compensation for the loss of their loved one if someone else was responsible for the accident. As a victim or surviving family member, you could be entitled to compensation for things like medical bills, lost wages or lost future earnings, and compensation for the emotional impact the accident had on your life.
Ginarte’s Car Accident Lawyers Can Help. Find Out How.
There is no charge to talk with our car accident lawyers. We collect fees only if you win your case. Call 1-888-GINARTE (1-888-446-2783) now. You can also fill out our online contact form or visit one of our seven nearby offices in Newark, New York City, Union City, Elizabeth, Clifton or Perth Amboy.