Head-on collisions can result in serious, even fatal, injuries. Although they typically account for less than 5 percent of all collisions, they are responsible for over 10 percent of all car accident fatalities.
The impact of a head-on collision can be catastrophic for the occupants of a vehicle involved in the crash. Common injuries caused by a head-on collision include:
- Head trauma, including traumatic brain injury (TBI)
- Neck injuries
- Back injuries
- Spine injuries, including those that cause paralysis
- Broken bones
- Chest and lung injuries
- Facial injuries
- Internal injuries
- Air bag injuries
- Cuts, bruises and scarring
A head-on collision can happen under a wide variety of scenarios. Most often a head-on collision is caused by the negligent conduct on the part of another driver, such as:
- Drowsy driving – Recent studies have concluded that driving while fatigued can be as dangerous as driving impaired. A tired driver can nod off or completely fall asleep at the wheel. It takes a drowsy driver only a fraction of a second to cross over the center line and cause a head-on collision.
- Distracted driving – With the increased dependence on cell phones and other handheld electronic devices, distracted driving has become a significant hazard on the nation’s roadways. It takes an average of four seconds for a driver to read or respond to a text message – more than enough time to wander over the center line and cause a head-on collision.
- Impaired driving – Although drunk driving collisions have declined over the past two decades as a result of monumental efforts to bring public awareness to the problem, they still occur far too often. An impaired driver can easily veer over the center line and collide with a vehicle heading the opposite direction.
- Reckless driving – Head-on collisions caused by reckless driving are usually the result of a driver’s trying to pass another driver without enough time or space to do so.
You could be entitled to compensation for your losses if you or a loved one was seriously injured in a head-on collision caused by someone else’s negligence.
The car accident lawyers at Ginarte, O’Dwyer, Gonzalez, Gallardo, Verchick & Winograd, L.L.P. are here for you. Call 1-888-GINARTE (1-888-446-2783) now or fill out our online contact form for a free claim evaluation. Remember, there is no charge for your initial consultation, and we collect fees only if we recover compensation for you.